Monday, November 16, 2009

Smoky Mountain Getaway



We survived the Smoky Mountain trip. As always, it was wonderful! The cabin was not what we're used to but it was ok. Small and tucked away at the end of a very narrow, scary, steep road. We arrived at night so it was quit frightening driving up this road in the dark. Here are a couple pictures... from the next morning. I wasn't about to mess with a camera that night. I was hanging on for dear life, questioning why I even chose this location ha.




There's something uncomfortable about walking in a unknown cabin at night too. I didn't sleep at all the first night. I just needed to get familiar with my surroundings before I could rest. Our view was beautiful!





We hiked Clingman's Dome. That is not for the weak at heart - myself!! It really was beautiful, despite a lot of dead tree. I am glad to have seen it, but don't plan to do it again. :-) It amazes me to see God's handiwork.






 Shameless self portrait.



No trip to the mountains is complete without a trip to Cades' Cove. The deer there have no fear. Nothing like the locals.. haha... too many hunters around here.


We also went to The Dixie Stampede's Christmas show and really enjoyed it... but no flash photography so no pictures to include. We've been to the mountains every year for 6 years now and this was our first bear siting. It was exciting to say the least.





Overall, we had a great trip. Of course, being such a family vacation destination, the town was PACKED with kids, babies, families, pregnant women... you get the picture. Every store was filled with kid gifts, personalized baby items. The towns were covered in Christmas lights. It was beautiful and sad at the same time. Everything reminded us of what we don't have anymore.. but also reminded us of what God has blessed us with... and that's alot! There's just something about The Great Smoky Mountains that gives me visions of heaven. There must be beautiful mountains, breathtaking valleys, visions and sounds of those streams of clear water, cool crisp air -a more simple way of life there, an amazing life there, no time demands, no Mondays, no moments without the ones we love, no worried of what we don't have... There'll be love, joy, beauty, praise, most of all our Father will be there, in all of His glory. Oh what a beautiful day that will be! :-)

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got away and had a nice time. The pictures are lovely.

    ReplyDelete